I’d like to wish you a happy 2017 and hopefully that you are returning from a restful break!
At the beginning of every new year, I spend time looking back on my personal highlights from the previous year. I review the books I’ve read as well as what I’m most proud of. My personal highlight for 2016 was running my first half-marathon. For 2016, my favourite books were Give and Take by Adam Grant and Commonwealth by Ann Patchett. Give and Take chronicles three archetypes — givers, takers and matchers — and what makes each archetype successful. If you think matchers perform the best at work, think again. Well worth a read. Commonwealth is a novel that covers two generations and explores what happens when two neighbouring families become a blended family.
I’d like to do the same here on HQ Asia. Every interview inspires me. Through speaking to some of the smartest and most successful people, our team has had the opportunity to hear their stories — some personal but mostly professional — about successful strategies as well as some learnings from difficult experiences.
A few of the highlights:
- Hearing about ensuring diversity and a rich talent pipeline with Remy Cointreau CEO, Valerie Chapaulaud-Floquet (coming this month!)
- Learning about redefining entrepreneurship and how to define culture in a startup with Garena Group President, Nick Nash (coming this month!)
- Imagining the future of publishing with Wiley CEO, Mark Allin
- Listening to how the business landscape is changing in Myanmar with Chairman of Serge Pun Associates and Yoma Strategc, Serge Pun
We also had some great contributions from friends and partners of HCLI. A few of our most popular articles in 2016:
- The Fight for Islamic Economy Leadership by Professor Cedomir Nestrovoic
- The Problem with Gut Instinct and Intuition by Lewis Garrad
- What Kind of Leaders Do People Love? by Michael Sanger and Dr Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic
- ‘A Good Day at Work’: Why Skilled Managers Focus on Well-Being at Work by Professor Sir Cary Cooper
Now it’s time to look forward. We have a busy first quarter for 2017! Over the next few months here at HQ Asia, we’ll be focusing on Tech & Talent, Responsive & Responsible Leadership and HR & Business.
Thanks for being a part of what we do and I wish you a happy first month of 2017!